Are Snake Plants Toxic To Cats?

Snake plants are popular houseplants because they clean the air, are hardy, and are easy to take care of. They look great as houseplants because they have long, fleshy leaves that look like grass and are very eye-catching.

But a lot of plant fans with pets wonder, “Are snake plants dangerous for cats and dogs?” The answer is yes, which is a shame. Snake plants have a poison called saponin that keeps dangerous microbes, fungi, and insects away.

So, as a pet owner, knowing that your snake plant is poisonous will help you keep your family pet safe. Find out more about snake plants and how to keep your pet safe by reading on.

Are Snake Plants Toxic To Cats

Common Types Of Snake Plants

The genus Dracaena, which was first called Sansevieria, has more than 70 types of snake plants. There are many kinds, but here are some of the most famous ones:

  • Sansevieria hahnii
  • Dracaena angolensi (Sansevieria cylindrica)
  • Variegated Laurentii Snake Plant
  • Twisted Sister
  • Bantel’s Sensation
  • Dracaena pearsonii
  • Black Diamond Snake Plant
  • Dracaena patens
  • La Rubia Snake Plant
  • Futura Superba
  • Zeylanica Snake Plant
  • Robusta Snake Plant
  • Sansevieria Moonshine

What Makes Snake Plants Toxic?

Saponins are poisonous chemicals that are found in both Sansevieria and Dracaena species. These chemicals are naturally found in the leaves of the snake plant. They protect the plant from damage from plants that eat other plants, insects, and germs.

Why Are Snake Plants Toxic To Pets?

Snake plants are dangerous for pets and animals in general because they contain saponins. Lipids are important parts of cell walls, and these chemicals can interact with them because of the way their molecules are structured. If these things get into your pet’s digestive system, they can irritate it, cause swelling, and do other bad things.

Are Snake Plants Toxic To Cats?

To give you a short answer, yes, snake plants (Sansevieria trifasciata) are dangerous for cats. Why are snake plants bad for cats, and how can you tell if your cat is sick from snake plants? You can find the answers to these and other questions by reading on. You should not miss this important news that will help you keep your cat healthy and safe.

Why Are Snake Plants Toxic To Cats?

The snake plant is also called the Good Luck Plant, the Golden Bird’s Nest, and the Mother-in-Law’s Tongue. Saponin is a poison that is found in all parts of the plant and can make cats sick. The most common way for cats to get this poison is to chew on the leaves. Even though mild responses are more common, your cat can have a number of unpleasant side effects after eating saponin.

Most cats that are poisoned by saponins get better, but you should call your vet right away to get help and find out if your cat needs to be seen. You can also call the Pet Poison Helpline for help, especially if it’s after hours or you can’t get in touch with your doctor right away.

What Happens If My Cat Ingests A Snake Plant?

Can cats get sick from snake plants even if they only take a small bite? Yes, but they will be less sick if they don’t eat much. If your cat chooses to bite your snake plant, the plant will first release saponin, a poison, when the leaf breaks.

Your cat will taste something very bitter as soon as it puts some of this stuff in its mouth. There are some things that could happen if the cat eats any part of the leaves. Keep an eye out for:

  • Vomiting
  • Nausea
  • Depression
  • Diarrhea
  • Drooling
  • Abdominal pain or discomfort
  • Loss of appetite
  • Swollen mouth or throat

There is a greater chance that your cat will have worse symptoms if it already has a long-term illness or medical problem. The cat’s mouth will have a harsh, unpleasant taste from the poison as soon as it takes a bite, so hopefully it won’t try to eat any parts of the plant. Because of this, they probably won’t eat much of the plant and will try to spit it out.

If your cat does eat a small bit of saponin, it won’t kill it, thank goodness. If your cat gets sick, the signs should only last a day or two. No matter what, you should still call your vet and let them know what happened.

You might still want to take your cat to the vet just to be safe, in case it did eat too much of the poison or if its symptoms are making it feel bad. If you think your cat may have eaten a bigger piece of snake plant, the symptoms will probably be worse. Take your cat to the vet right away if you see things like swelling or itching.

The vet will check out your cat and decide what needs to be done. If needed, allergy medicines like antihistamines and other medicines may be given. These medicines will help your cat’s stomach and GI systems feel better.


You now know more about snake plants and other home plants that are poisonous to cats, why they are poisonous, and how to tell if your cat is poisoned.

We hope this information was helpful and that you feel better knowing what to do to help your cat if you think it may have eaten parts of a snake plant or another popular houseplant that is poisonous to cats.

Frequently Asked Questions

Are Snake Plants Toxic To Cats?

Cats can get sick from snake plants. If you think your cat may have eaten a piece of snake plant, call your vet right away. You can also call the Pet Poison Helpline if you think your pet may have eaten something that could be harmful.

Why Are Snake Plants Toxic To Cats?

Cats can’t eat snake plants because they all have a poison called saponin in them.

How Do I Know If My Cat Has Snake Plant Poisoning?

Your cat might feel sick and throw up, have stomach pain, be tired, drool a lot, have diarrhea, or swell up in the mouth, lips, or tongue. The severity of the signs can change from cat to cat.

How Do I Keep My Cat Safe From Snake Plant Poisoning?

The best thing to do is to get rid of the plant and give it to a family without pets. You can keep your cat from chewing on things they shouldn’t by giving them lots of other things to chew on, like harmless cat grass and toys.