Snake plants, or Dracaena trifasciata, are popular pets that are known for having tough, long, succulent leaves that look like grass and are also easy to care for. They can handle being ignored, which makes them a great choice for people who are just starting to gather houseplants.
But many people aren’t sure if it’s safe to keep these plants in a home with dogs, even though they look cool and are tough. Dogs and cats should not be able to get to snake plants because they are poisonous.
Also, people can get sick from them, so if you have little kids, the same goes for you. People used to call this plant Sansevieria trifasciata until 2017. A lot of sites still list it with that name. People sometimes call these plants mother-in-law’s tongue, golden bird’s nest, or viper’s bowstring hemp.
Dogs should not be around snake plants because they are mild to fairly poisonous. They have saponins in them, which make you salivate a lot, your eyes get bigger, and your stomach hurts. It is in the leaves of the snake plant, and eating a lot of them is the worst thing that can happen. If you take in a small amount, the effects are generally less severe, but if you take in a large amount, they may be worse.
Signs That Your Dog Has Been Poisoned by Snake Plants
Snake plant overdose often causes sickness, vomiting, and diarrhea. Keep an eye out for any signs that your dog is acting strangely or that he or she is having stomach problems.
If you think your dog has eaten some of your snake plant, you should call your vet or an emergency animal hospital right away. Do not make someone vomit unless told to by a medical worker. You could either tell the vet what kind of snake plant the animal ate or bring a picture or piece of the plant for them to look at. While you wait, keep an eye on your dog and make sure he or she doesn’t eat any more of the plant.
The snake plant is tough and can do well in low light, so it can be used in many places around the house. This will keep your dog from eating your snake plant. Put it somewhere high up that the dog can’t get to, like on a shelf or a tall plant stand. If you take the plant outside for the summer, do the same thing.
You could also put the plant somewhere your dog isn’t allowed to go. You might have to give your snake plant to a friend if your furry friend is known for getting into trouble and you are worried that he will still find a way to eat it.
After you bring your dog to the vet’s office, the vet will start by giving your dog a physical check. This will let her check his symptoms and record any changes in his vital signs right away. If your dog throws up while he’s at the vet’s office, the vet will look through the vomit to see if there is any sign of what he ate.
In the event that your dog has diarrhea, a sample of its poop may be collected and tested to rule out other possible reasons. Two things that your vet will want to rule out are having too many bugs in the gut and having internal parasites.
The doctor will look at the blood work to see how the internal organs are working and to see if there are any problems starting to show up. A full blood count (CBC) and chemistry panel will give the vet the information they need to do a good evaluation.
To find out about water, a packed cell volume (PCV) test can also be used. If your vet thinks it’s important, she may also do a urinalysis to get a better idea of how well your kidneys are working.
The vet will be able to figure out what toxins are hurting your dog. When you go to the office, make sure you bring a piece of the plant with you.
The best way to treat your dog’s snake plant poisoning will depend on what signs he is showing. In order to get rid of any remaining plant parts in your dog’s stomach, if he isn’t vomiting or hasn’t vomited at all since eating the plant, the vet may make him puke. She may also decide to give the person activated charcoal to take up any extra toxins before they are absorbed by the body.
People will start fluid treatment with electrolytes if your dog is throwing up and having diarrhea. If your dog is dehydrated, giving them fluids will fix the problem and keep it from getting worse. This will also help the body get rid of the poison as quickly and safely as possible.
When the doctor thinks it’s necessary, extra therapeutic drugs will be given. She may give your dog an antiemetic if it is throwing up uncontrollably. If he is having stomach problems, medicines that guard the lining of the stomach and intestines may be given to him. Based on your dog’s complaints, other treatments will be given.
Snakes may not be very dangerous to dogs, but it depends on how much they ate. If only a small amount was eaten or he threw up what he did eat, the outlook for a full recovery is good.
His chances of fully recovering go down if he ate a lot or if he didn’t get medical care quickly. For the next few days, your vet may tell you to feed your pet simple foods so that its stomach can get back to normal after the event.
Snake plants look nice and clean the air, but they can be dangerous for pets, which shows how important it is to know about plants before you buy them. Pets and plants can live together peacefully if you know the signs of ingestion, get your pet to the vet right away, and take preventative steps.
Finding a balance between eco-friendly living and pet safety is important for making sure that the lush beauty of snake plants and the safety of beloved pets can live together in peace. Making smart decisions lets you have the best of both worlds: a lush indoor garden and the loyal love of your furry friends.
The plant’s toxic saponin foams, which can cause mild to serious stomach problems like nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and in the worst cases, red blood cells that break.5 As soon as possible, call your doctor.
If you eat any part of the plant, you will get sick. How bad the symptoms are relies on how much you take; too much can kill you. People who take in even small amounts should be treated right away because it is a serious matter.
The plant is only poisonous when eaten, not when touched. You might be able to leave the dog in the same room as the plant, but it depends on where the plant is and how old and calm the dog is. A baby might be able to get on top of a plant stand, but an older dog might not be as curious or quick. For safety’s sake, you shouldn’t leave your dog alone in a room with a snake plant nearby.
As soon as the toxic saponin gets into your dog’s digestive system, the symptoms usually show up pretty quickly.
Both types of Sansevieria and Dracaena have saponins that are poisonous to cats and dogs if they eat them. That’s why it’s important to keep your pets away from snake plants. In the same way, if your pet is outside, you shouldn’t grow them outside as porch plants.
Keep an eye out for signs like diarrhea, vomiting, feeling tired, or losing your hunger. Seek quick veterinary care if you think the animal has eaten something. Give them information about how your pet acts and the type of plant it eats so they can give you the right advice.
Yes, mother-in-law’s tongue, which is another name for a snake plant, does have saponins that are bad for bunnies. To keep them from getting poisoned, they must keep this plant away from them.
Snake plants are usually safe for people to eat, but they can cause mild irritation if they do. But it’s best to stay away from the eyes and don’t eat or drink it. If you have any strange symptoms, you should see a doctor.