Weeds are a plant’s worst enemy. They race to grab the essential nutrients in the soil and gulp on water intended for plants. The worst part is when weeds are able to establish their roots in the soil they proliferate so fast. To ensure the plant’s growth, weeds have to be controlled. However, instead of relying on weed chemical sprays, many gardeners have turned to the best weed barrier.
What Is A Weed Barrier?
A weed barrier prevents weeds from infiltrating your garden. It prevents weeds from getting water, oxygen and sunlight they need to grow and multiply.
Weeds are one of the gardener’s worst nightmares. They make your plants weak because of leeching nutrients intended for plants. If not immediately controlled, the roots of the weeds can strangle your beautiful plants. This environmentally friendly product is a better alternative to weed sprays because they are 100% chemical free.
Top 5 Best Weed Barriers In 2021
Benefits Of Using Weed Barriers
Keeping weeds out of your flower beds or garden is of utmost priority. Here are some of the most important benefits of using weed barriers:
Herbicides are easy to use and extremely effective in controlling weeds. As herbicides often get into the water source, they lead to health and environmental risks. Besides herbicides can kill beneficial insects and some plant species.
Weed barriers are friendly to the environment especially if you choose one that does not contain even a small amount of chemicals.
Does Not Allow Weeds To Get Sunlight
Weeds need sunlight to flourish and grow. Installing a weed barrier in your garden will prevent weeds from getting any amount of sunlight causing them to die.
Seeds Sprouting Cannot Grow Through Barriers
Even with a barrier, the soil will remain moist and continue to provide plants with nourishment. Annual weeds though are unable to grow through the barriers. Weeds are also unable to proliferate through barriers because they will not have any place to latch.
However, perennial weeds still find their own ways to grow through these barriers.
Allows Water To Pass Through
Even with a weed barrier, water can still evaporate and pass through the soil so you can water your plants the normal way.
Water will penetrate the pores of the weed barrier and reach the soil. Most weed barriers, comes with holes or slits holes. This means your plants will still be getting the right amount of water while preventing weeds from growing.
Keeps Moisture Intact
Soil dries up quickly because of the sun especially during summer. Weed barriers block the sun to a certain extent to reduce evaporation. In effect the roots of your plants will have more water to absorb from the soil.
So weed barriers provide your plants with more water while at the same time blocking weeds from getting into your garden and flower beds.
Prevent Traffic From Your Pets
Fabric weed barriers are tough and durable so animals, most especially dogs, cannot get into your plants to destroy them.
Weed Barriers Enhance The Growth Of Plants
Since the barriers prevent the growth of weeds, all the nutrients from the soil are solely for the consumption of plants. Plants growing with weed barriers often have lush green leaves.
Types Of Weed Barriers
Installing a weed barrier can help you control weeds from getting to your garden. There are various types of weed barriers you can choose from.
This includes the use of mulch, leaves, straw, moss, peat or any organic materials to prevent weed roots from settling in your garden. Natural weed barriers are biodegradable so it is important that they are regularly replenished.
When working with natural weed barriers, make sure they are not too thick as they may prevent your plants from getting the right amount of oxygen and water. Also make sure to check on the straw and mulch as they may come along with other types of weed.
Natural weed barriers are ideal as short-term weed barriers which you can place on your soil as the growing season ends.
This includes common materials you can find in your home such as garbage bags, cardboards, newspapers and other household materials. While they may not look good in your garden, they are cheap ways to prevent weeds from infiltrating your plants and growing in your garden.
This is also a great way to recycle household materials because they will filter water and air and will eventually decompose in time (except for plastic).
If you intend to use this type of weed barrier, make sure to secure them with a layer of mulch so they do not get blown away by the wind. Make sure to place a thick layer so they do not easily tear when stepped on.
Plastic weed barriers work to block weeds from your garden by suffocating them. Plastic weed barriers come in the color black and are installed over the weeds. This deprives weeds of water, oxygen and sunlight they need to grow. They warm the soil though to make your plants grow better.
Plastic weed barriers are durable because they do not easily tear. They are the most expensive though. Fabric weed barriers cost less and are equally as effective in blocking weeds from getting into your garden.
Gardeners started noticing fabric weed barriers in the middle part of the 80s. A fabric weed barrier is made from either polyester or propylene material. It looks like a burlap fabric and comes with a thickness of 1.5 mils. Average weight is about 3 ounces for every square inch.
Fabric weed barriers blocks weeds from infiltrating your garden but still allows your plants to get the water, oxygen and fertilizer they need to grow healthy and beautiful. This type of weed barrier works better on your plants than the plastic type.
Mulch is often placed on top of fabric weed barriers to protect the material from too much sun and for moisture under the weed barrier to remain constant. Fabric weed barriers are also biodegradable. They are available in 4 x 4 square feet rolls for home gardens. You may need to replace this weed barrier after a few years because it tends to soften and also due to wear and tear from foot traffic.
What To Look For In Picking The Best Weed Barrier
There are various kinds of fabric weed barriers available in the market. To make sure you pick the most effective one, here are what you should look for in the best weed barrier.
Choose a fabric that will allow water and air to get through the soil. You do not want the weeds to get water and air but your soil needs nourishment, too.
Choose a fabric weed barrier made from a long-lasting and durable material. Pick one which you can use for many months. In can be extremely inconvenient to be replacing your weed barrier every month or so. It is best if the fabric weed barrier can be used for all seasons.
Choose a fabric weed barrier made from a material that is environment friendly. The essence of opting for weed barriers is to avoid using chemicals. Chemical based weed sprays tend to harm the very plants you want to protect from weeds. Choose a fabric that is safe for all your plants.
Choose a fabric weed barrier you can easily install by yourself. It can be expensive to call a professional to do the installing. Choose a fabric that can keep the weeds off your garden which can easily be instead by simply using a pair of scissors and a little effort.
Top 5 Weed Barrier Reviews
Maintaining a garden entails, watering, applying fertilizer and of courses getting rid of weeds. This problem can now be addressed by using the best weed barrier.
Dewitt Black 4-Foot by 100-Foot 3oz Weed Barrier Pro Landscape Fabric PBK4100
The Dewitt fabric weed barrier is designed specifically for professional gardeners. This black weed barrier (also available in brown and white) comes in a 4 x 100 feet roll and weighs 3 ounces. It is water permeable because of hydrophilic treatment. It also protects the soil from the harmful UV rays of the sun.
- Eliminates weeds all the way to its roots
- Keeps the moisture of soil intact thus plants need little water.
- Back side of the fabric is in black to block light
What We Liked
- Popular with garden designers and professional gardeners because of its color.
- The fabric retains water thus not much watering is required.
- Gets rid of weeds down to its roots
- Fabric is treated with hydrophilic making it permeable to air, water and nutrients needed by plants to grow healthy and beautiful
What We Didn't Like
- Durability and quality may not work well with some plants and weeds.
- Needs to be properly installed to prevent weeds from getting through
This Dewitt weed barrier is for professional use. There is a color available that will be suitable for stone or mulch applications.
ECOgardenerPremium 5oz Pro Garden Weed Barrier Landscape Fabric
This fabric weed barrier from ECOgardener features benefits from both woven and non-woven fabrics. It is durable withstand the torture of heavy foot traffic and sharp terrain. It will not easily tear as it is thicker than most fabric weed barriers available in the market.
- Available in 3 feet x 100 feet rolls
- Made of double layer fabric
- Focuses on the health of plants and soil
- Water and air penetrates through the weed barrier to maintain soil quality
- Absorbs moisture and water
What We Liked
- Made of double layer and high density fabric
- Retains water and moisture
- Thick, durable and strong
- Thick but easy to cut
- Can withstand temperature changes
- Effectively prevents weeds from competing with plants for nutrients in the soil
- Prevents weed growth around grass and plants
- Eco-friendly and free of any chemicals
- Easy to cut and install
What We Didn't Like
- Some users say weeds still come through this fabric barrier
This ECOgardener fabric weed barrier can be easily installed even without any professional. T may be thick but cutting is such a breeze.
DeWitt P5 Pro 5 Weed Barrier Fabric
This DeWitt weed barrier is the top needle punched, woven and polypropylene created especially for commercial and professional use.
- Available in 5 x 250 feet rolls
- Made of 5 ounces needle punch and woven fabric for superior strength and durability.
- Ideal weave design for maximum weed control.
- 100 % opaque to ensure no amount of sun gets to the weeds to prevent germination and photosynthesis.
- Maximum light blocking capabilities
- Fabric comes with stripes positioned 12 inches apart so you can properly align your plants
- Allows the passing through of nutrients, water and air to the plants.
- Maintains moisture of the soil.
- Durable enough to withstand deterioration due to too much exposure to the UV rays of the sun.
- Ideal for permanent landscapes and xeriscapes
- Comes with a 5-year warranty
What We Liked
- Thick and tightly woven for strength and durability
- Resistant to the UV rays of the sun
- Tear resistant for longevity
- Works extremely well in preventing the growth of weeds
- Lasts for a very long time
- Easy to install
What We Didn't Like
- Weeds still grow when used with mulch
This DeWitt fabric weed barrier contains some amount of polypropylene to make it durable. So this fabric weed barrier is not made of 100% cloth.
Agfabric Landscape Ground Cover 5x300ft Heavy Duty PP Woven Weed Barrier
The Agfabric landscape ground cover is made from heavy duty PP woven fabric. This weed barrier controls soil erosion and controls the effects of the UV rays of the sun. It is an environment friendly option to control the growth of weeds in your garden and flower beds.
- Made from durable PP and PE threads for superior strength and durability
- Superior water and air permeability because of the ideal distance between flat yarns
- Controls erosion of the soil to protect soil from over-watering
- Resistant to corrosion regardless of ph level of water and soil
- Resistant to UV ray deterioration
- An antioxidant for plants
- Strong and durable. Will not easily break or tear
What We Liked
- Keep the ground clean
- Prevents weeds from getting direct sunlight
- Prevents roots from rotting
- Easily rolls out
What We Didn't Like
- A bit difficult to cut
This weed barrier ensures the proper growth of roots while preventing weeds from sharing in the nutrients intended for plants.
Easy Gardener Weedshield Landscape Fabric
This weedshield from Easy Gardener has a lifespan of 5 years. It prevents the growth of weeds in your garden while making it look aesthetically appealing the entire year.
- Prevents weeds from infiltrating your garden
- Provides your garden with 5 year protection against weed growth
- Controls weed growth without the use of any chemicals
- UV rays resistant to keep your soil healthy minus the weeds.
- Ideal for permanent gardens and landscape
- Durable landscape fabric
- Works great in covering the ground as well as ponds and pools.
What We Liked
- Similar in texture to fabric used as furniture backings
- Does not easily get blown away by the wind
- Multi-season fabric weed barrier
- Tough and durable without ripping or tearing even when dragged or pulled.
What We Didn't Like
- Does not really last for 5 years especially when used in harsh conditions
- Water does not completely penetrate the fabric
This is an ideal weed barrier for small and large gardens. The fabric is easy to cut to suit any surface size.
Best Weed Barrier - Winner
All the weed barriers mentioned above are better options to chemical based weed sprays. They are all able to effectively prevent weeds from infiltrating your garden and competing with your plants for the nutrients in the soil. The DeWitt Pro 5 Weed Barrier Fabric though is the better choice.
The DeWitt Pro 5 fabric weed barrier is the best choice for professional gardeners and landscape architects because it effectively prevents weed from growing in your garden. Other than blocking weed growth, this DeWitt weed barrier can also maintain the moisture of the soil to increase plant growth.
The DeWitt Pro 5 fabric is the best weed barrier made especially for commercial and professional use.