Are Monstera Toxic to Dogs?

There are times when having pets and loving houseplants at the same time can be hard. You need to make sure that your dogs and plants can get along. Some plants are poisonous. Most dogs are known to bite our plants every once in a while, which can be a problem. How about the well-known Swiss cheese plant? Is Monstera bad for cats? What about pets like dogs and cats?

Read on to find out everything you need to know about how dangerous Monstera is.

Why Are Monsteras Dangerous For Dogs?

Is Monstera Toxic to Dogs

Monstera plants are safe for dogs, which is good news. If your dog eats it, it will irritate his mouth, throat, and stomach walls, which could make him vomit and drool. There is no danger to your dog’s life unless it has eaten a lot of the plant.

Is Monstera Toxic To Cats And Dogs?

This question doesn’t really have a clear “yes or no” answer.

The ASPCA says that the genus Monstera, which is a famous aroid houseplant, is poisonous. Some might say that this isn’t really the right word, though. All of this genus’s parts contain calcium oxalate crystals, which are known to be poisonous. We’ll talk more about what these crystals are below.

When eaten, calcium oxalate crystals are very irritating, especially in the lips and stomach. It’s not likely that your cat will have a good time if it bites into your Monstera, whether it’s a Monstera deliciosa, someone else’s species, or this one.

For the most part, your cat or dog should be fine after biting into your Monstera. They might show signs of pain and soreness, though. If a rare growth reaction happens, that’s the only real risk. There is no poison in its body that is slowly shutting it down; it’s just a bad feeling in its throat and tongue.

What Are Calcium Oxalate Crystals?

Monstera plants are dangerous because they have calcium oxalate crystals in their sap. These very small particles are sharp and jagged like a group of needles. They are made up of oxalate and calcium.

They can make tiny cuts in the mouth, throat, and digestive system that hurt, or they can get stuck in those tissues and become lodged there. It’s also good to wear gloves when you cut your monstera because these crystals can be rough on your skin.

Crystals on the monstera plant are good for it because they keep animals from eating it. Fruit, which is safe to eat when it’s ready, is the only part of the plant that should be eaten. This lets the plant’s seeds spread to more places through animals and their gut systems.

Symptoms Of Toxicity In Dogs

The arum family includes monstera. Other plants in this family are also harmful to dogs, like elephant’s ear, calla flower, and dumb cane. Monstera can make dogs drool, vomit, have diarrhea, and have stomach pain if they eat it. Monstera poisoning can cause seizures and breathing problems in the worst cases.

So, Not Toxic. But Is It Dangerous?

The real question is whether Monstera is dangerous or not, not whether you call it “toxic” or “irritating.” While we would try to keep my pet away from this houseplant, there’s no real reason to worry if it does get its paws on it.

After the first bite, it probably won’t go for another one because it hurts too much, so this plant isn’t really dangerous.

Aside from those things, Monstera leaves aren’t really the stringy, dangly kind that cats like, so it’s not likely that your cat will try to eat them in the first place. Most likely, it will choose your spider plant or string of hearts. On the other hand, dogs are always a risk.

Are Monstera Plants Toxic To Humans?

Some monstera plants can be slightly harmful to kids, just like they can be to your pets. The crystals can hurt your baby’s throat, mouth, and gums if they eat them. In fact, these pebbles are so sharp that people can’t swallow or eat with ease. Little kids and babies are very sensitive, so it’s best to keep them away from your monstera plant in case it gives them the creeps!

Other Toxic Houseplants

Monsteras might not be very dangerous for your kids and pets, but some trees are much worse. Here are some more flowers that are bad for you to know about:

  • Chrysanthemum
  • English Ivy
  • Dragon tree
  • Alocasia
  • Philodendron
  • Peace lily
  • Spider plant
  • Snake plant
  • Pothos
  • Rubber tree

There are ways to keep flowers out of the mouths of most pets, but they need to be taught first. Just like monsteras, most of these trees don’t bother me too much. Still, it’s better to be safe than sorry!

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: If My Dog Bites My Monstera Plant, Will The Plant Be Okay?

A: Once your pet friend is safe, you may also be concerned about the health of the plant that was bitten. Monstera plants are tough, so they should be fine. However, you should cut off the damaged part because it won’t heal itself and may make sap that is irritating to the skin. It would also be best to put it somewhere your dog can’t get to it.

Q: Can Monstera Cause Bladder Stones?

A: Monstera plants have calcium oxalate crystals in them, and calcium oxalate crystals can also be found in kidney or bladder stones in dogs, so it makes sense that the two might be linked. The calcium oxalate crystals that make up kidney stones, on the other hand, are not eaten; they are made when calcium and oxalate combine.

If a dog has bladder stones, their vet may tell them to avoid foods that are high in calcium and oxalate, like spinach, nuts, and green beans. Also, extra care will need to be taken to make sure the dog stays properly hydrated.

Q: What Other Names Are There For A Monstera Plant?

A: The monstera plant comes in many different types, which are called cheese plant, Swiss cheese plant, storm plant, delicious monster, Mexican breadfruit, windowleaf, and fruit salad plant.

Q: Is A Monstera Deliciosa The Same Plant As A Split-Leaf Philodendron?

A: No. These two plants are not the same species or genus, even though they look alike when they are young. However, split leaf philodendrons and monstera both have calcium oxalate crystals that don’t dissolve in water. If dogs eat either plant, they will be just as ill.